Thursday, July 10, 2008

Creative Mess

Yesterday, I was confronted with pieces of myself stuffed in over-used cardboard boxes. My posters and artwork were still on the wall but most of my books, lotions, perfumes and jewelry were scattered in a painful representation of what my room had become. One large mess.

It's nothing to get upset about but when I come home from work and walk into my small room, a certain anxiety comes over me and I'm, almost instantly, overwhelmed. I love, crave the neatness of a room, kitchen, bathroom, etc., I like the look of clean, the artful portrayal of simplicity(at the same time trying not to look too bare and sterile) and the insinuation that life at home brings peace (which it does). It's a wonderful feeling to come home to clean.

However, a week ago, I came across an article from the New York Times dating back a couple of years. I don't know remember how I found it but it intrigued me because it was entitled "Saying Yes to Mess." I kept reading and found an even more interesting point: people who tend to be neat usually have empty minds.

excuse me?

there were other facts tied to that statement but that remark just kind of triggered something closely related to surprise or offense. Yes, I like neat, organized things but by no means does it signify emptiness of any kind.

I love the creative, I love exploring and my mind is always busy with unorganized thoughts, ideas and aspiring projects. A walk in my mind must be like walking into an endless closet so cluttered with miscellaneous items, papers and things, you wouldn't know where to start.. And everyday, that clutter rearranges itself so that you'll almost be guaranteed to get lost in it yet again.

So here's my extension to the head I call my own. To the mess, to the wondrous, to the discovery of amazing... this blog I dedicate to you.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, hope they are wrong. I like organised stuff too and i dont think i have an empty mind, or at least I hope so hahaha
thanks for all your support to our blog-zine! We keep working hard, so do not hesitate to keep telling us what you think!

July 15, 2008 at 5:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, when I organize my room, place of habitation, whatever, I usually get a lot from the experience. Seeing all the stuff you're arranging, like you said happens to your room with its weird qualities, reminds you what's in your head.

Well, it's not like my room stays organized for very long. I guess this article makes me feel better about it. Like they say, truly organized people are just too lazy to look for things.

By the way, nice design for the blog. Aesthetically pleasing.

July 16, 2008 at 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home